Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Simple Pleasures

A hike in the fall of the year with golden leaves fluttering to the ground.

Practicing the harmonica I had put on the shelf for the past 15 years.

Sampling my wife's homemade applesauce.

These are just a few of the simple pleasures I have enjoyed in the past week.

What's the definition of a simple pleasure?  Simply put, they are pleasures in life that are available to most people.



In my most recent blog, I asked the question, "Are you taking things for granted?"

If you are a person who doesn't take things for granted, it's also likely that you've thought about life's simple pleasures and made a point to indulge yourself.

So my new question for you is simple - What are your simple pleasures?  What do you enjoy that doesn't require much money or much advanced planning?

Maybe it's a bike ride with a friend?  A Friday night movie with a bowl of popcorn?



I hope you have both some "go-to simple pleasures" and also the willingness to spontaneously indulge in some "unexpected simple pleasures".

And needless to say, it's also my hope that these simple pleasures are legal.  As someone who has spent my adult life working with teens, I've worked hard to help empower these teens to find their simple pleasures in ways that are void of using drugs and alcohol.



I've often asked myself this question...what causes teens to choose drugs and / or alcohol over life's simple pleasures.

I believe the following links may help you give this question proper thought:

http://www.drugfree.org/resources/top-8-reasons-why-teens-try-alcohol-and-drugs/

https://www.tpaddictiontreatment.com/news-events/latest-articles/why-do-teens-use-drugs

https://www.promises.com/articles/teens/10-reasons-teens-abuse-alcohol-or-drugs/

I encourage you to contemplate what it is that gives you pleasure and to indulge in these things.  And if you are a teen struggling to find positive outlets or a parent who is concerned about your teen,  I encourage you to reach out to your school counselor and start a conversation.  Sometimes something as simple as a face to face conversation about your life can qualify as a simple pleasure!



No comments: